Sociology and AMR

I listened to this yesterday and I thought it might be an interesting episode to discuss here with anyone who’s interested.

I’ve written my reflection here but I went down a few rabbit holes that aren’t related to antimicrobial use at all, so I thought I’d try and be more focussed here.

Around the 18 minute mark there’s a question asked about what sort of things we can do to build a positive culture around AMS. Like, it’s one thing to say the desired approach for AMS is for it to become normalised behaviour where individual practitioners want to make a greater contribution to society through more appropriate use of antimicrobials, but where the hell do you start to build that kind of culture?

The Sociologist’s response describes the need to establish better feedback and reward systems. Where organisations can track progress toward goals without creating a sense of winners and losers. He suggests that data and information shouldn’t be used as a correction tool (like a scorecard), but as a way of motivating people that the work they are doing is making a difference that is valuable.

Once you’ve listened to the episode yourself, consider these prompts for discussion

• if you were (or are) someone who prescribes antimicrobials, what sort of information do you think would encourage you to keep ‘doing the right thing’ with antimicrobial use?
  • how do you think this might differ depending on your setting? i.e. hospital departments, aged care, GP practice

Share your response, or any other thoughts you might have from listening to the episode, by replying below :point_down:

An interesting study to follow on from this

I often find GP surveys informative and interesting to read but at the same time I always think to myself “GPs must be so tired of filling out surveys about their opinions and practices”. They got a 15% response rate. Is it always the same GPs that respond?
Anyway, NCAS have been doing some great work in hospitals and hopefully they can continue to expand into primary care.

1 Like

Yes, I know what you mean. I don’t think surveys are much use by themselves, but useful to get a general feel for what’s going on. I think the feeling from this survey is that pharmacists have got some work to do building relationships and credibility with GPs if they want to establish a collaborative approach.