Dogs, drill bits and medicine

This week I’ve got a video and a short piece of writing from two fairly different sources in terms of their work - one is a medical professor, the other a history in marketing.

First, from the marketing perspective…Seth Godin. I read his work a lot because it’s written simply but leaves room for thought, and I like that. In this piece he’s talking about the concept of real world value…people don’t buy a quarter inch drill bit because they want the product, or even that they want to drill a hole. They want to use it so that they can put their picture up on the wall and enjoy looking at it.

Second, a video interview with Dr Eric Cassell. He talks about the role of personhood in medicine. The production quality isn’t good, but there aren’t many short videos of him speaking so this is the best I could find.

Being a pharmacist, this makes me think about HMRs. Every evaluation of the HMR program I’ve seen, every consultant pharmacist that I’ve talked to, all say the same thing - uptake of the program is low, there is resistance from GPs and patients to engage in the service at first, but if they’ve had a good experience there is value to be gained from it. This makes me think that perhaps one of the things we need to do is rethink of how we communicate the value of the service…i.e. something that translates to real world value, not just “we can help you” or “we can reduce the risk”.

Did reading/watching either/both of these make you think about anything differently? Share your thoughts by replying below…

Thanks Lauren. I needed that :slight_smile:

The value in what we do - providing a medicine, undertaking a medication review, helping someone in anyway - is not in what we do but in what it offers the recipient. I absolutely agree, if we can’t communicate clearly what it offers ‘them’, why should they take it up? Some things are obvious enough for ‘them’ to self select (the drill bit). Other things require ‘them’ to take a leap of faith to agree to, but are considered of value after a good experience.

The challenge for those of us trying to sell a service is to minimise the size of that leap of faith, through clear, trustworthy, meaningful, and timely explanation of what it offers them (how it improves their life) and then, to provide a good experience for them when they do choose engage with it.

With so many competing interests, stakeholders and pressures it is sometimes hard to achieve this.

1 Like