Best blogs and podcasts

What are some recommendations for blogs and podcasts - ones that you consider your absolute go to’s, not the ones that sit in a queue and never get listened to or read!

A six part series that’s worth a listen for pretty much everyone I reckon, health professional or not.

This is a great podcast hosted by a Canadian (I think?!) family physician and pharmacist academic. Always an interesting show…

I must admit, I don’t typically listen to health-related podcasts (except purple pen podcast of course, hosted by @daniel and team).

I find I get overwhelmed if I subscribe and can’t keep up with the episodes. So have been thinking about some of the best episodes I’ve listened to.

This Joe Rogan David Goggins episode was my podcast gateway episode I think. Not because I want to become an ultramarathoner (I’m not crazy :joy:) but because it shows the power of story and mindset.

1 Like

Latest episode of purple pen podcast was really thought provoking. Sociologist love using big words, but I really enjoy the insights they bring.

1 Like

I often ask myself “what would Goggins do?”. :grinning:

1 Like

You gotta callous your mind!

best podcasts i like:

no such thing as a fish
reply all
finding drago

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP).

Super interesting, no bullshit discussion about COVID-19

1 Like

I don’t subscribe to many blogs or newsletters, and I actually open and read even fewer. This one I read every week though. It’s from James Clear, the author of Atomic Habits. Each week he shares 3 ideas from him, 2 from others and 1 question for you. It’s a quick but thought provoking read.

Another newsletter that always produces thought provoking content by Dr Peter Attia. This one is about the strength of actively seeking out cognitive diversity to improve mental models.

I know I’ve shared James Clear’s newsletter before, but this was just what I needed to read this morning

If you’re looking for a deep dive into current events without hype, give this one a listen

1 Like

Seriously, I just finished listening to this episode - amazing insight into today’s society.

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says, but that’s why I like Sam Harris. His mindfulness type approach means he guides you toward being self-refective which I think is kind of cool.

Another blog that has a high frequency of valuable offerings is this one The Story of Telling by Bernadette Jiwa. Her recent post On influence I find particularly relevant to this community.

Bernadette runs the Akimbo Story Skills Workshop, an online interactive workshop which is hands down THE BEST learning experience I have ever had, face to face or otherwise. Expensive and surprisingly personal, but I found it to be incredibly valuable.

Blog post about psychiatrists’ consideration of social determinants of health

I must admit, I think I assumed that those working in mental health would have considered the social context of patients/person-centred care by default…perhaps not?

Another great bit of Sam Harris wisdom in this podcast where he’s the guest.

I thought I’d add some of the content produced by people here that you might want to check out…

@daniel host and producer of Purple Pen Podcast

@pharmerfour producer of AJP Podcast

@IndispensablePh host of Indispensible Podcast

@drnicktellis blog

@AndrewVanlint YouTube channel Med Ed with Andrew

@ChrisA website new and resources
https://medsafetyaustralia.com.au/

@drsaini blog and website

@rbarmanray clinicfire website

Are there more? Let us know and reply below.

It takes guts to put yourself out there, and it can also get lonely talking into the void so I think it’s nice to support one another.